If you still use Visual Studio .NET 2003 (I still do for some older .NET 1.1 projects) you may experience following situation:
- You have an ASP.NET Web project that is controlled by Visual SourceSafe
- While opening the project Visual Studio 2003 hangs, stops responding to mouse clicks and keystrokes.
Fortunately there is a quick fix to that.
- Open the registry editor (Start -> Run: RegEdit.exe) and navigate to the following key:
- If there is a value key named “UserPostMessageLimit” change the value to something greater than 10,000 (the maximum is 18,000).
- If this value key does not exist, right click the
key and choose “New” “DWord” value named “UserPostMessageLimit” (without the quotation marks) and set it to a value greater than 10,000 (the maximum is 18,000).
- You will need to reboot the workstation for this setting to take effect.
- Once rebooted, delete the local user’s VSWebCache (this folder should be located in C:\documents and settings\<username>\VSWebCache), then open Visual Studio and retry opening the project.