If you’re using Infragistics UltraWebGrid and experienced an odd behavior where the grid does not display the right-most vertical border line – there’s a workaround.
By default 2 elements contribute to the grid border – border from RowStyleDefault property and border from FrameStyle property. For some reason IE6/7 (yes, some people still use those) do not render the right border of the last column, even though all 3 properties (BorderColor, BorderStyle and BorderWidth) are set. So the solution is to have FrameStyle lend that border:
- Expand RowStyleDefault -> BorderDetails property and set StyleRight to None – this is done, so the double border won’t render in IE8 and other browsers where the border is displayed correctly in the first place
- Expand FrameStyle -> BorderDetails property and set ColorRight, StyleRight and WidthRight properties to the desired color, style and width (e.g. LightGray, Solid, 1px)
As a result, the right border is displayed correctly in all versions of IE.
In one of my recent projects I needed to validate whether user’s input is a valid date, and this needed to be done client-side, in browser prior submission to the server. Lazy as I am, I Googled for a ready-to-use code snippet. There’re plenty of versions out there, but most of them offer incomplete solution and none of them take into account browser locale, you know – the language settings:
So I decided to cook something of my own Continue reading →
This is probably a very obscure situation, but it happened to me, it could happen to someone else. Scenario: an ASP.NET page with Infragistics UltraWebGrid inside of a WARP panel. A button outside the WARP serves as a trigger for partial postback. First click on the button causes expected partial postback, but on the second click page does full postback and is screwed after that. The issue happens only in IE6/7, page works correctly in IE8.
Another condition – page contains ASP.NET AJAX ScriptManager control with ServiceReference path pointing to an ASMX WebService.
Turned out the issue was caused by project being left in debug mode (in web.config debug=”true”). Which caused WebService page to be loaded with parameter “jsdebug” in query string. Which apparently IE6 and 7 didn’t like very much. Switching to debug=”false” in web.config solved the problem.
As you may be aware Internet Explorer 8 will share session among its different instances (even if you start new instance by clicking IE Desktop icon). Why on Earth this was done is described in this article. The only way to start a new session is to use obscure File -> New Session option in menu, interesting choice, considering that in IE8 menu is hidden by default.
But this is not the end. Quoting the article:
Relying on closing the window to clear the session is not a recommended way to implement proper logoff for an application. Because this clearly will not work if there is another window that is sharing the session.
True, buy why, pray say, session isn’t cleared for one application if its window closed, but another window remains open, pointing to a completely different application, on different server in different DOMAIN?!
Do try this:
- Login to any app that that requires user login.
- Open a new browser, and point it anywhere to a completely unrelated link.
- Close original app window from Step 1.
- Open new browser window and go URL of app from Step 1.
- Surprise, surprise, you’re still logged on.
Also, aren’t they aware that 99.9% of all users will simple close browser window instad of going thru logout process even if it takes only one click? And in many scenarious, including one above user will stay logged in.
That lead me to believe that error happens because WebCombo is not initialized in some way and clicking the cell does that initialization. So I tried to simulate that behavior programmatically, by entering and immediately exiting cell edit mode:
// to prevent error - showing and hiding dropdown
var oCell = igtbl_getCellById(sCellId)
where sCellId – is ID of any existing cell that uses dropdown as an editor. And Bingo! the error went away. Also beginEdit/endEdit happen so fast, so even though technically they show and hide the dropdown – in reality nothing appears on the screen.
If you get the following error while browsing a page in Internet Explorer:
The value of the ‘method’ attribute may not be ‘html’
chances are MSXML registration is corrupted on your machine. To fix this, open DOS prompt and type following commands:
This will re-register MSXML and the error will go away.
Internet Explorer has a well known proprietary modal dialog window that can be opened using showModalDialog DOM command. While it is not a good idea to use browser-specific functionality, for many it’s a convenient way to display a modal window and return result back to the parent.
But there is an easy fix for that. If you include following line:
inside of your page header in HTML source, e.g.:
modal dialog will be able to successfully postback to itself.
The only difference between 2 browsers I found was UserAgent string (For quick way to check your user agent go to http://whatsmyuseragent.com/). Continue reading →