Solution: Windows 10: Unable to start Appstore apps

By , August 5, 2015 1:45 pm

Ok, I went ahead and upgraded to Windows 10. everything went smoothly, all my settings and installed apps preserved and work without a hitch. I am loving the interface and getting along with Cortana pretty good.

But after a while I encountered a weird issue: Appstore installed apps – e.g. Calendar, Mail etc. even Windows AppStore itself wouldn’t launch. I’d either get a cryptic error message, something along the lines “Application did not start, please contact system administrator” or very briefly a window would appear and immediately closed.

Looking into Event log was a bit more explanatory, but not too much: “Microsoft.WindowsStore_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App failed with error: Access is denied. See the Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Operational log for additional information.

If you google it – you will find many possible explanations of the problem and many possible ways to solve it offered, but none of those worked for me. Finally I figured it out (and Event Log entry gave me a clue): C:\Program Files\WindowsApps folder was missing necessary permissions:

WindowsApps

Namely, “ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES” was missing read & execute permissions on that folder (had to to uncheck “Hide protected operating system files” in Control Panel, File Explorer options to be able to see it). Once I added correct permissions – appstore apps started launching with no problems.

8 Responses to “Solution: Windows 10: Unable to start Appstore apps”

1. Gustavo says:

Hi Yuriy, I have the same problem in windows 10 but when I watch the folder WindowsApps, in the security tab, the ALL APPLICATIONS PACKAGES option is not shown. I don’t know if it is hidden or missing. If it is hidden, how can I put it on?
    Thanks.

Gustavo

2. Gustavo says:

Hi Yuriy, I’m here again. I found how to do it, but still my apps are not working. Could you explain me in a more detailed way your procedure. I wanna check it in case I did something bad.
    Thanks.

Gustavo

3. schwin says:

Hello, I cannot find ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES just like Gustavo. How can I add it?

4. John says:

Thank you so much!
    I reinstalled Windows 10 because the Search was messed up and then after Windows couldn’t open any pictures. The Photos app was triggering a “permission denied” error. Then I found your web site and you saved the day! 🙂

Note: I had to take ownership of the WindowsApp folder to change the permission… even then I had some errors when I applied the “Full control” to Administrators. I kept hitting “Continue” despite the errors and after I was able to set permissions to All Application Packages user. Now it works!

5. Guilherme says:

Thank you!

You saved me, i’ve been through so much untill I found your article; I reinstalled my windows 2 or 3 times (can’t remember), tried the powershell, removed all apps and nothing made it work.

Anyways, thank you very much!

6. sandeep babubhai bhut says:

Thankyou very much….

7. Luna says:

Hi, I am trying to restore windows store 10 on my redeployed windows image. However, I cannot locate ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES, despite taking ownership of windows apps folder…. Is there any more in depth guide that will show how this can be done? Thank you!

8. Answer says:

To all the people that are wondering why ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES are missing. I added it manually. You go into Advanced after that Add. Select principal. Write the name “ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES” and hit OK. After that give it full control and click to all.